I am going to list the ingredients and directions for each combined, as there is no real difference. Simply the base ingredient of tomatoes or bread. You can experiment and add parmesan cheese to either or both, also fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, or garlic are nice additions as well!
Ingredients: Trick - line your cookie sheets with non-stick tin foil for easy clean-up!
- 1 basket of Cherry tomatoes - about 2 cups or until cookie sheet is covered in a loose, single layer
- 1/2 loaf of bakery fresh unsliced bread (pick your favorite flavor - mine tends to be olive loaf, rosemary, or garlic) - Cute up into 1/2" cubes; spread out on a cookie sheet until it is covered in a single layer
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) - 1/4 cup per cookie sheet
- Kosher Salt - finely ground (don't use table salt as it will discolor the tomatoes and wilt your lettuce!)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees
- Spread your bread or the tomatoes out on their own tin foil lined, cookie sheet. Don't overcrowd the sheet. Leave room between the bread cubes/tomatoes. Don't be tempted to put them on the same cookie sheet, the tomato juice will run and make your croutons a soggy mess.
- Drizzle the EVOO evenly onto the whole cookie sheet
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and the fresh ground pepper evenly across the whole cookie sheet
- Use your hands to toss the bread and make sure it is evenly coated with EVOO and salt/pepper. If the bread is still dry add a bit more oil but be careful you don't want "soggy" you want lightly coated.
- For tomatoes, you can simply roll them around and make sure they have oil and salt/pepper on all sides
- Put both cookie sheets in the oven and cook for 15-20 mins until the croutons are lightly golden brown. The tomatoes should have some burst and some will be whole. That's ok, when they cool they will burst as needed.
- The croutons can be put in a large plastic bag after they cool and are good for about a week. The tomatoes, should go into a plastic lidded, container and be stored in the fridge for about 4-5 days.